Monday, November 7, 2011

Gratitude 7

I'm grateful for optimistic people.
Of course I'll never find a person who is completely optimistic all of the time, but I really appreciate those individuals around me that look for the positive all of the time.  I complain...a lot.  It is a weakness I have, and I know that if I surround my self with these positive people that I can improve.

Pinned Image

I found this excerpt a while back.  I don't know who it is by, but I LOVE IT!  It's called  
"What I'm Thankful For"
"The mess to clean up after a party because it means I have been surrounded by friends.  The taxes I pay because it means that I'm employed.  The clothes that fit a little too snug because it means I have enough to eat.  My shadow who watches me work because it means I am out in the sunshine.  The spot I find at the far end of the parking lot because it means I am capable of walking.  All the complaining I hear about our government because it means we have freedom of speech.  That lady behind me in church who sings off key because it means that I can hear.  The piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby.  The lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning, and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.  My huge heating bill because it means that I am warm.  Weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day because it means that I have been productive.  The alarm that goes off in the early morning hours because it means that I am alive.  I am thankful for you because it means that I am loved."

Pinned Image

I took a look at the things that I have complained about lately, and looked for the positive .  Here are some of the ones that I came up with: (I kinda kept with the feel of the above paragraph)

I'm thankful for the burnt toast because it means I have enough money for food.
When the managers turn off the water because I know the value of indoor plumbing.
The price of the laundromat because it means I have clothes to wash.
The smog in the air because I know the value in a breath of fresh air.
The cold, wintry days because it means I know the warmth of the sun.
The overload of homework because it means I have the opportunity to get an education.
The tough trials because I know the blessing of patience.
The temptation and distraction that come from the adversary, because
I'm blessed with a body that he covets.
The bitter sip of that cup so I can know the sweetness in forgiveness.

I came across another good talk by President Faust.
In it he said, "Having drunk the bitter cup, however, there comes a time when one must accept the situation as it is and reach upward and outward.  President Harold B. Lee said, 'Do not let self-pity or despair beckon you from the course you know is right'".  I love that.  It is important to stop constantly complaining, because Heavenly Father's Spirit can not be with you if you are always negative.  It would be like looking at my conscience and having that devil on one shoulder and angel on the other.  If I was negative, of course the devil is going to win.
Every single time.
If you have time, go and read that talk.  There are many different things that he talks about,
 and I find it really enjoyable.  
(photos via pinterest)

No comments:

Post a Comment