Monday, October 29, 2012

Not Who I Expected

In walks the school secretary with the substitute on Thursday.

Having had two different substitutes on Wednesday, I was just expecting another 50+ year old lady, who had 20 something grandchildren and bad hearing.



You can imagine my surprise when the secretary brought in a young male and told me that he would be subbing today....and did I mention that he looked a lot like this guy?

Pinned Image

(let's just say there was more than one
Level II girl drooling haha!)

He (we'll call him Mr. Tom) walks to the front and tells the class his name and a little bit about himself.  Then he asked the 2nd graders if they had any questions. 

FIRST question: "Are you married?"

Mr. Tom "No...why is that your first question?"

Reply "Cause if you are a Miss you aren't married, Mrs. means you are, and Ms. and Mr. mean you don't want us to know."

Mr. Tom "Oh haha, okay....What's your question?"...pointing
to the next student.

Question "Are you dating Miss Stoor?"

All 25 heads turned to me to find the answer.

I replied "No boys and girls.  I just met Mr. Tom this morning."

I thought I'd played it off pretty nice and then a little
girl dropped a bomb:

"Well you guys can date, and then get married!"

It would not have been that bad until I looked to
Mr. Tom and found his face red as a beet.  


And that word explains the rest of the day.

The students asked a few more questions and then
we continued on with the reading lesson.
But during prep hour, recess, and lunch there were
extremely awkward silences.

At times, I attempted to alleviate them and
explain some of the upcoming lessons or reasoning
behind some students actions
(one little boy likes to sign a different name on his
papers...i.e. on Thursday his name was Edna)
but there was little to no response...so I would
end up leaving the room cause it was just
SO WEIRD!!!

This week my mentor teacher should be
back and I shouldn't have to deal with
any awkward subs haha.
Crossing my fingers it is a semi normal week
(Halloween party on Wednesday).

No comments:

Post a Comment