Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Not so 'Lucky' Buddy

This is Lucky Buddy.
He looks like a tiny kangaroo mouse, but we
looked him up on the internet and decided
that he is probably a deer mouse.

He is the smallest mouse I have ever seen.
We figure that it is probably a baby.
Anyways, I need to tell the story of how he
came to our classroom:

My cooperating teacher and I were talking before
school started when a small ball rolled into the room.
Or so we thought that is what we saw out of the
corner of our eyes, but then a teacher came in from
the hall and said "There's a mouse in your room!!!"
You can imagine our reaction:

Dramatic Mom #8: HOW TO FREAK OUT A MOUSE "I was standing at the sink when I felt something brush up against my toes. Being a Mom, I subconsciously imagined my toddler at my feet, thus the delayed reaction. When my brain registered that I was alone, I looked down. That's when the screaming began - which freaked out the mouse. The creature, scared witless, ran around & around & around in a circle while I screamed. When I finally shut up, it zipped out of its loop of infinity & out of the room."

Mrs. O grabbed a square bin and put tape on the sides where 
the handles were.  I kept track of the mouse and when she had
the 'trap' ready, she literally dove and caught the mouse!
It was hilarious!  The other teacher helped her to tape up
the top of the bin.  I wish I could have filmed the whole process.

It was fun to introduce the mouse to the students.
The next day, the students voted on a name.
The other teacher's class of 1st graders named him
Lucky because he was lucky not to be killed.
(as most of the other teachers...including me haha...
would have just killed him).  Our class voted on
a bunch of names and came up with Buddy.
Thus, he then became Lucky Buddy.

Well, I took this picture right before I left class yesterday.
Lucky Buddy slept in this position all day.
Occasionally we would tap the container...just to make
sure that he was still alive.

I went back to the classroom this morning and
my cooperating teacher told me the news....
"Lucky Buddy [was] no longer with us".
...haha, oh how we had big crocodile tears in the
first grade classroom!  Our fourth graders weren't
too upset, though I know they were
disappointed.  The funeral will be tomorrow.

Yes. A funeral...(ha).  He will be laid to rest
underneath the bushes outside the school.
So if you drive by tomorrow and see a few
teary eyed students...know that they will be okay,
because our friend Lucky Buddy is now
happy in mouse heaven.  So that was my first
day for full-time practicum!  I doubt I will ever
have an 'uneventful' first day haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment